- Alien Agency: Experimental Encounters with Art in the Making. MIT Press, 2015.
- The Vibrancy Effect: An Antidisciplinary Expert Meeting. Ed. Chris Salter, Michel van Dartel and Harry Smoak. V2/NAi Publishers. 2012. http://www.naibooksellers.nl/art/the-vibrancy-effect-ebook.html
- Entangled: Technology and the Transformation of Performance. MIT Press, 2010.
Chapters in Books
- "N-Polytope: Interaction and the Affect of Emergence." Worldmaking as Techne: Exploring Worlds of Participatory Art, Architecture, and Music. Eds. Alberto de Campo, MarkDavid Hosale and Sana Murrani. Riverside Architectural Press, 2014.
- "Atmospheres of Affect." The Timing of Affect. Ed. Marie-Luise Angerer. Diaphanes/U Chicago Press, 2014.
- "Indeterminate Acts/Alien Agencies: Technology, Choreography and Bodily Affects in Contemporary Techno-Scientific Art Practice." Transmission in Motion. Ed. Maaike Bleeker. MIT Press, 2014.
- “N_Polytope: Behaviors in Light and Sound after Iannis Xenakis.” Xenakis Matters. Ed. Sharon Kanach. New York: Pendragon Press, pp. 320-330.
- "The Poetics of Sonic Interaction Design." (with Karmen Franinovic). In Sonic Interaction Design: Process and Products. Ed. Karmen Franinovic and Stefania Serafin. MIT Press, 2013.
- "JND: An Artistic Experiment in Bodily Experience as Research." Bodily Expression in Electronic Music: Perspectives on Reclaimed Performativity. Eds. Deniz Peters, Gerhard Eckel and Andreas Dorschel. Routledge, 2012.
- "Timbral Architecture | Aurality’s Force: Music and Sound in the Choreographies of William Forsythe." William Forsythe and the Practice of Choreography. Ed. Steven Spier. Routledge, 2010.
- "The Question of Thresholds: Immersion, Absorption and Dissolution in the Environments of Audio-Vision." See This Sound -Audiovisuologies 2. Ludwig Boltzman Institute/Lentos Museum/Ars Electronica. Walter König Verlag, 2009.
- "Environments, Interactions and Beings: The Ecology of Performativity and Technics," in Interfaces of Performance (Eds. Maria Chatzichristodolou, Rachel Zerihan and Jannis Jeffries), Ashgate, 2009.
- "Between Mapping, Sonification and Composition: Responsive Audio Environments in Live Performance," CMMR Post Symposium Proceedings, Springer LNCS Series, 2008.
Journal Articles and Proceedings
- “An Experiment with Life.” Leonardo, Special Issue on Agency in Movement. Ed. Ionat Zurr. Scheduled Fall 2014.
- “JND: Ontogenesis, Performativity and the Perceptual Gap.” Inflexions: A Journal for Research Creation. http://www.inflexions.org. 2011.
- “SenseStage: DIY Wireless Sensor Networks for Real Time Performance and Interactive Installation.” Proceedings for the 2010 International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), Linux Audio Conference, Utrecht, Netherlands, June 2010.
- “SenseStage: DIY Wireless Sensor Networks for Real Time Performance and Interactive Installation.” Proceedings for the 2010 International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), Stony Brook, June 2010.
- “The Stage as Organism: Liveness in Twentieth Century Scenography.” Peer Reviewed Proceedings for Re:Live: Third Annual International Media Art History Conference. Melbourne, Australia. November 2009.
- “Sharing Data in Collective Interactive Performances: The SenseWorldDataNetwork:” Proceedings for 9th Annual Conference in New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME 2009), Pittsburg, Pa, USA. June 2009.
- “Dramaturgies of Sound: Interactive Sound Design in Live Performance,” Proceedings for the 1st International Workshop in Sonic Interaction Design, CHI, Florence, April 2008.
- “Between Mapping, Sonification and Composition: Responsive Audio Environments in Live Performance,” Proceedings for the 2007 International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), Copenhagen, September 2007.
- “Schwelle: Sensor Augmented, Adaptive Sound Design for Live Theatrical Performance,” Proceedings for the 7th Annual Conference in New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME 2007), New York, NY, April 2007.
- “Sponge: A Case Study in Practice-based, Collaborative Research.” Peer Reviewed. Proceedings for the 4th Annual ACM conference in Creativity and Cognition, Goldsmiths College, London, April 2005.
- “The Kulturstaat in the Times of Empire,” PAJ: A Journal of Performance and Art - PAJ 77 (Volume 26, Number 2), May 2004, pp. 1-15, MIT Press.
- “Crossings, Substitutions and Distortions: The Sensorium of the Extraordinary.” Translife Catalog. Liverpool University Press/FACT: Liverpool/National Art Museum of China, 2011.
- “AKVK : Ghost Acoustics and the Haunting of the Acoustic Imagination. Catalog essay for Ghost Acoustics. Exhibition catalog. FoFA Concordia, April 2010.
- “The Performance of Perception.” Essay for Esemplasticity. Exhibition catalogue. Berlin, 2010.
- “Chris Salter: Audio-Visual Works.” Musiques & Cultures Digitales. Paris. March 2010.
- “Untitled (For Heisenberg)” Jim Campbell. Ed. Steve Dietz. Ostfildern: Hatje-Cantz, 2010.
- “Media.Art.Research Statement.” Prix Ars Electronica Jury, 2009. 2009 Cyberarts: Vienna: Springer, 2009.
- “Reflections on the 8th International Biennale of Champ Libre.” Etc: Revue de L’art Actuel. March 2009.
- “Media.Art.Research Statement.” Prix Ars Electronica Jury, 2008. 2008 Cyberarts: Vienna: Springer, 2008.
- “Cloud Chamber.” Sam Auinger and Friends. Exhibition at the OK Zentrum für Kunst, Linz, Austria. May 2007.
- “Chronopolis: Inhabiting Time,” with Erik Adigard. Loudpaper, 2004.
- “The Architecture of Listening,” “Crossfade: Sound Travels on the Web,” online media project, SFMOMA,Walker Arts Center, Goethe Forum/Munich, ZKM. May 2000. http://crossfade.walkerart.org.